Saturday, July 28, 2012

Myspace Recordings by Grover's Headache


A rather hard band to track any info about Grover's Headache was yet another ska band from that 90s mecca Orange County, California, USA. These are the songs featured on their Myspace page that I recorded onto my computer via Soundflower and Audacity, so forgive me if the quality isn't the greatest. If anyone has anything else by this band please get in contact as they are amazing. There was apparently an album or EP titled Ain't Frontin if a comment on their Myspace page is to be believed but I can't seem to track down anymore info. They were around from 1995 to 1999 and in some instances their name is stylized 'grovers (headache)'. Quick web searches seems to indicate that most of the members didn't do anything after this band minus a couple that were apparently in other local bands though I can't seem to confirm any of this. Stand out tracks for me are B and H for its awesome horn lines, something this band does well, and Lie Awake a soulful song about longing after a girl.

Grover's Headache is:
Alan Oakes on Guitar
Brent Seehusen on Saxophone
Cris Aparri on Flugel Horn & Trumpet & Tuba
Drew Baker on Drums
Jeff Dube on Trumpet
Mikey Hamada on Vocals & Bass Trombone
Victor Lucero on Bass

Other Members: (Being listed as I'm not sure if any of theses people were in the songs here.)
Alex Guillen on Guitar
Jason Lacoss on Trumpet
Kyle Martin on Trombone
Max Shantar on Trumpet
Rich Iwason on Pocket Trumpet


Track listing:
1. B and H
2. Teddi Bear
3. Anorexic
4. Lie Awake
5. There You Are

Yar!

4 comments:

  1. GH has been one of my favorite bands for a very long time. To answer some of the implied questions you brought up:

    Yes, the first demo was called "Ain't Frontin'" and had four songs on it. They then recorded and released the self-titled EP in 1997, I believe. Around 1998 or 1999 they recorded 7 more songs, but they never saw the light of day. I got the tracks from Mikey himself several years ago, though. They're great. They remind me of that band Pushover. I wouldn't be surprised if there was some member crossover with that OC outfit as well.

    As far as I know, the biggest GH-related project to come immediately after was CODENAME: ROCKY. Not a huge name, but they did pretty well and were active into the mid-2000s.

    Hope this helps.

    Sean
    e-mail is suburbanbeat [at] aol [dot] com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have all seven tracks of the cd. It's not good quality skips and all. I LOVE these guys. I lived with some of them in Irvine for a little bit. They are an awesome bunch of guys. You are missing 2 tracks from your list here. AND also there is a hidden track on the cd that is funny as hell! If you would like a copy of the WHOLE cd, maybe you could clean up the skips for me in return for the extra 2 tracks....lol.

    Nicole

    Email

    Looneybins516@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Victor Lucero's little brother. I grew up listening to him practice in my garage. They have way more music they never released. I'll look call him and see if he can lend them to me so I can upload them! Thanks for remembering my brothers band means a lot!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Brent Seehusen. Thanks for keeping the memory of Grovers Headache alive! Our geocities page seems to have bitten the dust and our myspace page is on it's last legs! LOL..

    A few members (Drew, Mikey, Rich) went on to join Codename: Rocky, who still plays local ska shows to this day.

    Chris changed directions and now goes by the name DJ Flict, and produces for some big names in hip hop and reggae: Lauryn Hill, Wyclef Jean, Wiz Khalifa, as well as Sublime w/ Rome. His work has been Grammy nominated and his tracks have gone platinum, so he is by far the biggest success story in the group.

    Drew, in addition to being drummer for CN:R, has learned to play guitar and been the frontman for his own punk projects, including his current one, The Owl in Daylight.

    Alan also played in the Ex-Presidents during the late 90's ska scene. He now fronts his own 80's synth pop solo project called Let Em Riot.

    Unfortunately, I've mostly lost touch with the other guys, so I don't know what they've been doing these past 20 years, musically or otherwise.

    If anybody wants a copy of our EP, I still have about 100 copies up in my attic. Email me at soulwailer@gmail.com and I'll send you one in the mail, or better yet let's meet up at a show and I'll hand one to you in person!

    The OC ska scene has been making a comeback for the past 5-6 years. I don't think bands will be getting signed by major labels like before or getting into the rotation on KROQ, but it's fun to be a part of it. Lots of old groups are re-forming and playing reunion shows or even going on extended tours. The kids that are into it now weren't even alive yet, or were just out of diapers in the late 90's. So the next generation is bringing it back to life!





    ReplyDelete